Monday, January 9, 2012

IAU Bronze Certification for Creemore Vertical Challenge!

I think the title says it all.  I was quite excited when I read the email today, detailing how the CVC was now a race on the international stage.  I won't go as far as to say it is in the big league (with a cap of 200, this will never happen) but I like the concept that some world calibre runners, who need an IAU race in early July, and have heard of Canada, might (oh, to dream) actual toy with a race called "Creemore"?

Drawing international calibre ultra runners is likely a pipe dream, but loyalty to NA dictates that I stress how CVC has already attracted high calibre athletes, such as Laurie McGrath and Adam Hill.  And there is more than a remote chance of drawing American runners, who need IAU points and are within striking distance of Ontario.  Ottawa 24 hour (an IAU Bronze race) saw Jamie Donaldson break the US 200,000 meter record (200K) while running the 24 hour race.  She ran 200K in about 16 hours, then tapered dramatically to complete 214K in 24 hours, which is silly (I mean, think about it) but the amazing part is that she could have gone further, but the quick witted RD at Ottawa pointed out to her circa 15 hours into her race, that if she picked up the pace, the USA 200K female record was possible.  So, after 15 hours, she pushed her legs hard, broke the record, but affected her 24 hour performance.

So now I face the quandary of having to tell Scott Jurek that the CVC has reached it cap and he will have to wait until next year for a berth in the race.  Yeah!  Like that's ever going to happen!  He has free entry if he shows up race day.  But this does present a minor issue.  I have assured the land owners that only 200 runners would be on their trails during race day.  What if I reach my cap and one of England's top runners asks to run? (I'm thinking Ellie Greenwood, who only attains Canadian citizenship this summer) Or someone from Kenya?  Okay, another stretch!  Similar to the UCC, turn a potential issue into a positive.  I will talk with the land owners (one of whom is taking a pottery lesson from Lee Anne as I type) and ask if it would be okay to top the cap for national and international runners.  Most land owners have a blast on race day, cheering the runners or participating themselves.  I expect that a chance to see top level ultra runners would be a draw!

Well, as you can tell from this entry, I'm pumped, and looking forward to what 2012 might bring!  Details on the UCC will be posted on www.ouser.org in the near future.

Dig Deep!

1 comment:

  1. Kudos on the great accomplishment! Guess I better register good and early although I have run this race so many times I am on a first name basis with the land owners … I suspect they would raise the cap by one for the local guy!

    ReplyDelete