Saturday, August 4, 2012

Running Approaches

Okay, I've learned over the years that you should never give doctors too much information.  They tend to jump at the chance to draw conclusions and lay down maxims that do not agree with my lifestyle.  This rule applies to most people.  For example, try asking a runner if you should run through an injury.  Make one up!  My chondial Milastis is ruptured.  Should I continue running?  I won't even bother to provide the hypothetical answer.  We've all been there and know what the advice will be.

But with doctors, let's even specify surgeons, the big problem is that one should actually listen to their advice and against all your hopes and aspirations, continue with the painful process of not running.  I have run since my knee surgery in 1975.  I have taken long periods of time off, such as 5.335 days when I had PF in both feet.  Back in the 1990's, there was even a 16 day hiatus, for no better reason than a minor back problem that made standing incredibly painful.

I have now "NOT RUN" since The Limberlost Challenge.  3 full weeks.  21 days.  21X 24 X 60 X60 seconds.  Okay, you get the picture.  So it was with extreme happiness that I received the news from my physiotherapist that I could start runwalking this weekend!  I'm not sure what runwalking is, but I nodded my head and quickly left before he changed his mind, or worse yet, explained what he meant by runwalk.  Here is my interpretation:

Walk to the driveway, run for 3 hours, then walk from the driveway back into the house.

Don't worry, I realize that the duration may have to be tailored to suit my current conditioning.  It may even have to be cut short if my right knee starts a dialogue in which stopping before 3 hours is on its wish list.  In reality, I have some trepidation about running outside.  If the knee turns south quickly, it might not be such a good idea to walk 5 - 6 K back home.  Compounding this conundrum is the fact that I am not at home, so using the treadmill is currently not an option.  I'm in Toronto and heading for Niagara-on-the-Lake, then St. Catherines later today.  So here is the plan:  Bike 50 - 60K to warm up the knee and see how it stands up against a bit of exercise, then try running very short.  No more than 20 minutes.

What could possibly go wrong?

Oh!  Synopsis:

The knee is feeling great.  I think my physiotherapist is a bit perplexed.  Every exercise he throws at my knee, it performs without a problem.  He asks if I'm in any pain and invariably I reply "no".  I am starting to wonder if my years playing rugby and running ultras has changed my perception of pain.  He was almost overjoyed when I walked into his clinic on Wednesday and he exclaimed "Your limping!".  He looked a bit chagrined when I mentioned that it was due to my back, which was acting up after chopping wood for 3 days.  The knee is fine.

So, after 3 weeks of forced inactivity, I will once again try the sport of running.

Stay tuned!









No comments:

Post a Comment