Monday, April 22, 2013

And They're Off!

Ah, the Spring Warm-up!  I know I keep harping on how the $35 is a great deal considering the grand prize, spot prizes, a great course and fantastic weather.  Okay, strike that last one...  But it is also a wonderful chance to talk with people about their upcoming race season, how they fared over the winter and simply an opportunity to talk running.  When I talk running at work, I notice the eyes glazing over.  Suddenly that meeting they were avoiding becomes paramount; I think my talking of running keeps Honda running.  Get it?  No?  Why are your eyes glazing over?

The grand prize (free entry into most of the races) went to John Turner, a regular on the circuit.  It is always a toss-up as to whom I wish would win the prize.  Great to see a "recent" member win and watch their amazing ramp-up over the "free" year, but I also hope the regulars win it frequently.  They are the ones supporting the series year after year.

The day started cold and cloudy, then the sun came out for 42.2 seconds, then the snow started falling.  I could see the big city runners (almost everyone there), eyes wide with surprise and outrage.  "Snow???  Ah come on!  I spent $35 to run in this twaddle"?  (They used a different word)  Apparently, there is some rule in Toronto that states you cannot have 3 hours of snowfall on April 13.  I enjoyed it, mainly because I watched most of the snow from inside the Dunedin hall, with a cup of cofffee in hand.  Later it got better, as I poured a glass of wine.  It's not that I skipped the running part.  I actually ran 20K, which is good for me.  I think everyone there would attest that 20K on those hills and snow covered trails was not insignificant.  I was actually sore for 2 days!

The Bruce trail was excellent conditioning for the upcoming trail races.  Snow covered, treacherous footing, lateral muscles tested in a frenzied asperous cruise through rocks and roots near cliffs.  Pure bliss!  The road sections are also easy to summarize.  Up or down.  I don't mean 20 feet up, distance or vertical gain, but up, as in the first 3 minutes of an airbus 300 on take-off.

The weather could have been better, but I kinda like the course!

So, now we get serious.  Game face time.  Pick Your Poison.  I have made a mental note to sign up for this race early next year.  With surgery behind me and absolutely no hint of an injury (yes, I work for the propaganda department, how did you know?) I will be able to sign up with aplomb, months before race date.  The course is challenging, well organized and close to home!

I find it a bit eerie that PYP did not sell out early this year.  At this writing, they are 50 away from the cap.  Perhaps there is some inherent lethargy before the first race.  Perhaps the late winter has made some people hesitate to sign up until the weather is more clearly defined.  Snow on April 13 - Hogwash!

See you there!







No comments:

Post a Comment