Monday, November 9, 2015

Bathroom Break

I have been extremely busy replacing almost everything in the bathroom over the last 3 weeks, so I am taking a break...

If you ever need to remodel your bathroom and decide to do it yourself, here is some advice:

Don't.

Bathrooms are not as straightforward as other simple tasks such as building a Formula 1 car, or climbing Mount Everest.  And I believe that remodelling the bathroom takes much longer than the other mentioned tasks.  The problem is that each task (example:  Install a toilet) should only take 2 - 3 hours, but ends up taking much longer, when you actually perform the task.  In order to replace my toilet, Csaba (pronounced Chuba) and I had to first reconfigure the floor joists.  Getting a new floor joist into my house means tearing up 10 feet of floor.  Once the joists were in place, we had to strap below the joist (yes, from above), put in new insulation, vapour barrier, plywood, concrete board and new tile.  Without Csaba, it would have taken me about 3 weeks.

Csaba is a master carpenter.  Perhaps you have never heard of a master carpenter?  Csaba apprenticed under an older master carpenter in Hungary for 6 years.  Six years!  From the age of 13 until 18, he learned the proper methods of carpentry.  In Canada, here is how you learn carpentry:  "Take this hammer".

Csaba is extremely quick at carpentry.  It has something to do with having learned the best practice for almost everything, then doing it until his technique was perfect.  I help Csaba with his projects from time to time and he makes a mistake about every other week.  When my son-in-law built a house last year (see picture), I was the manual labour for Csaba, who built one of the most complicated houses I have ever seen, let alone helped to build.  I think Csaba likes my sense of humour, because it was definitely not my skill set that prompted him to ask for my help on some of his other projects.  When Csaba found out I was remodelling my bathroom, he offered to help.  This is the type of offer you cannot refuse.

If you have a construction project in the GTA, you could do worse than hiring Csaba.  If you are interested, email me and I can provide contact information.  Well worth having the job done correctly, the first time.

So, aside from the floor joists (another was rotten), we tiled the floor and walls, put in a new bathtub, water heater, toilet, bathroom sink, washer, dryer, water pump and 3 new windows.  The main construction (wall tile, floor tile, joists, toilet, bathtub, plumbing, and windows) was done in 2.5 days with the help of Csaba.  I have been working alone on the new cabinets and trim for the last 2 weeks...

Horror Trail Race Report

DNS

Since running my first 50 mile race at Haliburton, running has taken great effort and I tire quickly.  After the DNF at Run for the Toad, I contracted a cold, or likely the flu, and was not able to run for about 3 weeks.  Then the bathroom project started and I felt that going to Waterloo to run for 6 hours while I didn't have running water (get it?) was not a great idea.

My running is starting to get better.  I went for a couple of 2 hour runs last week.  Too bad the season is over!

Film Festival

Lee Anne and I staged a film festival in Toronto on Saturday, November 7, 2015.  A selection of Trail in Motion films was shown to a sell-out crowd of about 100 people.  I believe the films were well received and we might continue with the festival next year.

Cheers!







3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the reno! I think the rest was a good idea, sounds like you needed it. I was sorry to have missed the film festival this weekend and it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on bathroom #`1 of 2 this winter...I get it! Its more like working on a black hole cause it sucks the life blood outta ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bathroom sounds like an exercise in torture. I'm glad that you had Csaba's help!

    ReplyDelete