Sunday, August 7, 2016

Creemore Vertical Challenge: Race Report

Well, the 10th Creemore Vertical Challenge is now in the books and based on dialogue with the runners I would guess that most enjoyed the race.  Is the course tougher?  Yes.  Regulars at the race described in detail how the new hill, the "Pitch" was a rude awakening, coming within the first 5K of the course.  Oh, by the way, it starts with a "P", not a "B"...

Even the weather cooperated, with cool temperatures in the morning.  I noted 16C on top of the escarpment at 6:30 AM, shortly after the 75K start.  The weather was not ideal, as the thermometer crept up to 28C by the middle of the afternoon, but far better than the 32C I experienced the day before, while slamming a tooling bar into the rock hard ground while attempting to install the signs!

There were a few glitches, but I expect that most of the runners did not notice them.  One that the 50K and 75K noticed was actually in their favour.  Perhaps the volunteer felt it was too much to ask the ultra runners to climb the Pitch 2 or 3 times, but the 50K and 75K runners missed the Pitch on their first loop.  No such luck on the subsequent loops and up the Pitch they went!

I hope that I echo the thoughts of the award and spot prize winners, but Lee Anne's pottery has improved dramatically this year.  New glazes and more time spent at the wheel has elevated her craft to the point where the mugs and bowls are almost works of art.  I mention this because the other prize component is maple syrup, which is appreciated by the winners, but I see the pottery as a tangible attraction for the podium runners.  Many thanks dear!

The Creemore Vertical Challenge has never been a 2 person show.  Yes, Lee Anne spends 200 - 300 hours as her contribution, which includes pottery, food purchases and taking care of the volunteers.  I spend an inordinate amount of time making the finishing medals, maple syrup and clearing trails.  Recently, I have questioned the sanity of a race director (in itself almost a full time job) who doesn't farm out the prizes, medals and the "hard" work.  I spent part of 2 months clearing trails after the ice storm.  I'm an idiot!

But it is the volunteers that allow the race to proceed.  The 34 people who sat for hours at marshal stations, fed, watered and gave encouragement to the runners and kept the race running (wow! what a great pun!) are the true heroes.  They receive many "thanks" from the runners, but they seldom are in the race spotlight, gaining well deserved praise.  Many thanks to all of you, for your efforts!

I would like to mention a few items that happened at the 2016 CVC, that many people probably are not aware.  If you read my 2016 Kingston RR, I mentioned that I helped to guide a good friend Elizabeth Hurdman.  Liz is 95% blind and I was very nervous about helping someone with so little sight,  navigate the Kingston course.  Although mostly paved, it had turns, bumps and gravel sections.  But Liz has a wonderfully optimistic outlook and loves to run.  The result?  We had a gas and running on a mostly paved surface was not a problem.  Liz signed up for the Creemore 25K.  Hello?  Another good friend Sharon Zelinski would be the guide.  Sharon has been experiencing foot problems, possibly Plantar Fasciitis for over a year.  She is having trouble running more than 12K.  I know, you're thinking "what could possibly go wrong"?  Nothing did go wrong and Liz completed the CVC 25K race in a respectable time of 4:18.  So, those of you who ran the course and considered it (as I do) a very tough challenge, imagine doing so with virtually no vision!

Another good friend and neighbor Peter Taylor is an experienced ultra runner.  This would be Peter's first attempt at the CVC, as Peter has almost always had a destination race when the Creemore race was on.  Sinister Seven, Fat Dog, Canadian Death Race...  This year, Peter was finally able to run Creemore.  Result?  DQ (disqualification).  I think the problem was that Peter 'knows' the area too well.  While in 4th place in the 50K, Peter took a wrong turn and ran for almost 5K before realizing he was not going in the proper direction.  He was on the course, but running it in the reverse direction.  I feel for Peter.  I know we have all gone off course, but it still sucks.  Mind you, I can't wait to chat with Peter and mention that yeah, he has done well at Sinister Seven and Fat dog, but how did he fare at a really tough race, such as Creemore?  Can't wait!

My boss Csaba Melnyak and my son-in-law Daryl Klein walked the 25K course.  In fact, they walked 29K, as they went off course for a few kilometers.  Csaba (pronounced Chuba) used to walk 100K in about 24 hour, back in Hungary and missed doing so.  I suggested he walk to Creemore course.  I believe they had fun and also found it a challenge.

Agnes and Saj Moktan are friends who share our passion for running.  During a training run of the CVC course a few weeks back, they casually mentioned that they would like to bring samosa to the race.  Then they mentioned they would bring 300 samosa!  Seriously?  I had a couple at the Seaton Soaker race and they were delectable.  I offered to pay (well, the race would pay) but they politely declined.  So, if you are one of the 200+ people that enjoyed a samosa, please thank the Moktans!  They also offered up the services of their family and friends, a total of 4 volunteers.  Many thanks to the entire Moktan clan!

Although busy from 5:00 AM until almost 7:00 PM, I enjoyed the rare moments when I could stop and chat with a friend or one of the runners new to the Creemore experience.  It is possibly the best part of holding a race, for me.  I only wish I had more than a few moments to chat with the 100 or so people during the day.

So, runners found the course tough, the pizza and samosa savoury, and the Creemore Springs beer a well-deserved reward after their epic battle with the Creemore hills!  Last year, the 3 kegs sufficed for the race.  This year, after the 3 kegs ran out, I had to quickly buy 2 more small kegs.  Trust me, you don't want to run out before the 75K runners finish.  These are tough people!

Today (Sunday), I was able to clean up almost everything.  This is mainly because we had the luxury of several volunteers on clean-up duty after the race.  Yes, they picked up dirty watermelon rinds the runners tossed to the side of the road, used gels, etc.  Lee Anne also helped pull flags from a few trails this morning, allowing me to start dismantling tents and tarps early.

Many thanks to all who participates in the event.  Runners from all over Ontario and beyond, friends, family and neighbours.  The event is grand, but the people are what make it worthwhile.

Oh!  I will have pictures on my Flickr page by the end of the week.  Go to outrace.ca or Enfield Timing for results.

Dig Deep!
















5 comments:

  1. Hello Pierre and Lee Anne,

    I want to thank you and the volunteers for all of the hard work you do in putting on CVC. I was glad that I could express my gratitude to you in person, and I really did mean it when I said that CVC is by far my favourite race of the year. If I could only participate in one race, CVC would be it.

    It was so much fun to come out with 25-odd friends (pun intended [see Pierre - I've picked up your sense of humour from reading your blogs]) from the Thornhill Running Room. I can't wait to see what surprises you have in store for next year's CVC.

    Thanks again.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron and the dusty double dozen from Thornhill! I'm sure there will be some dialogue about The Pitch on your next training run. Someone suggested that the Pitch should be run the same number as the runner's loop. So, once on loop 1, twice on loop 2 and 3 times on loop 3. I like the idea, but it would probably increase the attempts on my life.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting the race again. Love the new course really look forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Pierre, Lee Anne and all those wonderful volunteers. It was such a great day, and was wonderful to meet you Pierre.

    With you mentioning about Peter Taylor. I did meet him coming through that pristine nature preserve, and was confused if it was I going the wrong way. I called out "Am I going the right way"? And he said, "You are going the right way, I took a wrong turn and am going the wrong way." I felt so bad for him. He was going at such a great pace.

    Please kindly thank that nice volunteer who let us off the hook of the Pitch on the 1st loop. It was a tough climb, but certainly was nice once I finally made it to the top. Great view, lovely breeze. Could almost have laid down and taken a nap...lol.

    I did have a samosa and they were awesome. I really love the "family feel" that you provide with hosting this event. I will be mentioning that once I eventually get my own recap finished!

    Thanks again for such a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting this amazing race Pierre. This was my first ultra and first time racing at cvc and won't miss it for anything next year.

    P.s. im the confused looking runner who had a late start for 50k ;)

    ReplyDelete